Food poisoning is a common problem most people face. It can either be for short term or long term, but getting treated for this issue in the initial stage is highly recommended.
Food poisoning is a foodborne disease that is caused due to consumption of unhealthy, contaminated and toxic food. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and dehydration are some of the common symptoms one can experience.
Those with the weak immune system are at great risk. There are different diseases causing food poisoning.
Some are the infections caused by bacteria like Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella and Norovirus (Norwalk Virus).
Leading Causes of Food Poisoning:
There are three leading causes of food poisoning:
- Bacteria: The main reason that promotes food poisoning is the bacteria that can be fatal for the body. Salmonella, one of the type of bacterias is the biggest reason behind the foodborne illness.
- Parasites: This is not as common as caused by bacteria. However, Parasites can also be equally dangerous. The infection leaves your digestive tract undetected for years and can weaken the immune system too.
- Virus: The second most reason behind food poisoning is the virus. Norwalk virus is the most dangerous one that has claimed more than 19 million cases across the world. Hepatitis A is one such virus that gets transmitted through the contaminated food.
How can you find the Symptoms?
One can experience the food poisoning symptoms in different stages. It majorly depends on the source of infection that enters into your body. Some of the symptoms are:
However, there are life-threatening symptoms too like:
- Diarrhoea for weeks
- High Fever
- Severe dehydration
One can witness food poisoning symptoms within hours after eating unhealthy or contaminated food.
Overcoming the Food Poisoning with right treatment:
Food poisoning treatment can be done at home or by visitng a doctor for the proper treatment. However, it also depends on the severity of the problem.
As a part of food poisoning treatment, it is important to keep your body hydrated. Energy drinks like electrolytes can be helpful. If the symptoms increase, the doctor would recommend antibiotics to kill the bacteria in your body.
As part of preventive measure:
- Wash your hands and utensils: Before consuming the food, do make sure to wash your hands and utensils to stay hygienic.
- Cook Food at Safe Temperature: Use of right food thermometer helps to avoid overcokking and keeps the dish safe from harmful bacteria.
- Deforesting your Food: Keep your food in the refrigerator so that all the healthy ingredients are maintained intact, and food stays fresh.
- Over the Counter Medications: For the initial stage of symptoms you can consider taking over the counter medication that will bring down the pain and infection.
Above all, consumption of healthy and hygienic food can keep your body away from the infectious virus.
Food poisoning can be severe if not treated in the initial stage. Consumption of healthy food with hygiene around is the best way to avoid any food poisoning and infection.