More than a half of million people across the world are under mental illness. Different mental health problems have been affecting people worldwide and have caused approximately 40 million deaths.
Mental illness is defined as the various conditions or disorders that affect your mood and behaviour. These conditions include depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia and others. However, stress and lifestyle play a significant role.
There are different types of mental health problem:
- Depression: It covers a broad range of conditions defining the persistent bad mood in pursuing daily life.
- Schizophrenia: Categorized by multiple personalities, a person facing this problem has a lack of ability to distinguish reality.
- Bipolar Disorder: It is a periodic cycle of emotional states of manic and depression. In bipolar, both carrying different aspects, they don’t occur instantly.
- Anxiety: When a person experiences panic attacks, it is a form of stress. This disorder includes social anxiety and panic disorder. It is quite related to fear of thoughts that grow inside.
What causes mental illness?
There are various reasons on how and why an individual faces mental illness. Studies show that; social, physical, environmental and psychological are the primary cause of depression.
- Physical Cause: This is related to the genetic issue that contributes towards the depression. Head injury or depression can lead to the change in personality.
- Social & Environmental Cause: Negative social acts can affect our mind in a lot way. Thus, resulting in mental issues.
- Psychological Cause: If you’re not able to cope with your past or any negative experiences, it might take a toll on your mind and influence your mental health.
Besides these factors, stress and health issues can be a cause. Moreover, change in the chemistry of brain leading to bipolar disorder or schizophrenia can also be the cause.
How would you find if you are mentally not healthy?
An individual may show different signs of mental disorder or illness depending on the type and severity of the problem. It starts with a change in the pattern of mood, lack of socialising, finding difficult to tell the difference between reality & fantasy and erratic behaviour.
Some of the other symptoms of mental illness are:
- Excessive fear of thoughts
- Turning alcoholic
- Change in eating habits
- Low sex drive
Bringing down the problem with preventive measures:
The treatment for the mental problem depends on the type and stage of the problem. If you’re going through controlled symptoms and mild illness, then short term medication would help. However, if the problem increases, then seeing a psychologist is highly recommended. Psychiatric medications including psychotherapy can assist in bringing down schizophrenia problem. Having a face-to-face session with a mental health professional can help you to clear the anxiety and feel relaxed.
Other preventive measures are:
- Socialising and expressing yourself
- Routine medical check-up
- Sufficient sleep and exercise
It is important that you talk and show your fear or feeling to people to bring down the burden inside you. Taking precautionary measures and medical intervention will help you to cope with mental health problem.