Have you ever come across a person who carries large and abnormal looking neck? Were you shocked meeting your slim fit friend who gained weight suddenly? All these symptoms of sudden weight gain or extreme weight loss or swelling in the neck are with a bulge are of Thyroid.
The thyroid gland is located just below Adam’s apple and is responsible for producing hormones that regulate the metabolism of the body.
The disease is also divided into 4 different disorders- Hashimoto, Graves, Goitre and Thyroid Nodules. People undergoing this problem face problems in normal working as thyroid problem leads to a significant drop in metabolism.
Major Cause of Thyroid Gland Disease:
The major cause for this disease is the imbalance in TSH levels. When the gland becomes underactive (hypothyroidism) which is caused due to Hashimoto, it leads to enlargement of the gland. If you’ve gone through any gland surgery or medication, then hypothyroidism problem may arise. Similarly, when the gland becomes overactive (hyperthyroidism), it may cause pituitary tumour and becomes insensitive to thyroid hormones.
Moreover, if you have a history of radiation treatment or genetic mutation, then it may lead to thyroid disorders. Apart from this, our lifestyle and eating habits have a major role in a hormonal imbalance that triggers insulin insensitivity that leads to thyroid.
Symptoms of Thyroid Gland Disorder:
An individual may come across different thyroid symptoms which should be treated in the initial stage. Some of the symptoms are:
- Poor Concentration: There can be mental dysfunction affected due to hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. The person may undergo poor concentration regime due to pain and hormonal changes.
- Weight Gain or Loss: You might notice a significant increase in weight which can cause Hypothyroidism or loss of weight leading to Hyperthyroidism.
- Change in Menstrual Pattern: Women may witness prolonged menstrual bleeding. If the women going through hypothyroidism then excess bleeding will be witnessed, but if it is hyperthyroidism, then there will be a reduction in the flow.
Apart from above mentioned symptoms, the person may witness:
- High Blood Pressure
- Increase in Sweating
- Neck Enlargement along with Tenderness
- Mood swings, anxiety and lower energy level
- Dry skin, hair fall, etc.
Treatment and Prevention:
When it comes to the treatment of thyroid gland disease or hypothyroidism one should opt for
- Thyroid hormone replacement therapy
- Change in Lifestyle by introducing exercise and walk to increase metabolism
- Yoga and meditation to beat the stress especially Kapalbhati, alternate nostril breathing and Bhastrika.
- Pregnant women facing thyroid gland disease may require thyroid replacement therapy and other treatments.
- If the patient undergoes hyperthyroidism, then the doctor may recommend for radioactive iodine surgery that can bring the problem under control.
Many people say that thyroid is a lifetime disorder that will not go with your to your grave. But with disciplined lifestyle, Yoga and medicines prescribed by doctor it is possible to support your under working thyroid hormone and make it healthy and normal. So rather than falling for myths and being depressed get dressed and go for a run.
Read some more useful information on Thyroid Symptoms & more on home remedies for cough articles only on Dr. Lifesaving.